Monday, June 6, 2011

Perfectionism causing procrastination? Fear of success?

The Now Habit has me thinking of why I'm such a procrastinator for certain things. 
The two biggies for me are:
"This project is big and important"
"I must be perfect"

He says that to be productive these need to be replaced with:
"I can take one small step"
"I can be perfectly human"

The need for perfection for me is the biggest one.  I almost freeze up at the thought of starting a project since in my head "it MUST be perfect".  Reading this book makes me realize that our well meaning teachers at PS 124 may have done us a disservice by repeating from K - 6th grade to us "Only your BEST is good enough".  Words that have been tattooed in my brain.

Telling a child to work hard is one thing, but it seems like asking for Only the BEST all the time was somehow twisted to mean absolute perfection.

And so we continue to the Guilt Free Play chapter...

No comments:

Post a Comment